She said the company was not aware of any allegations of improper behaviour by Scarlett in Australia.
Scarlett, 33, is one of ballet choreography’s biggest rising stars, and in 2012 he was appointed the first ever artist in residence at the Royal Ballet.
But The Times reported on Thursday that he was banned by the Covent Garden company in August last year pending an inquiry into claims he “behaved inappropriately with Royal Ballet School students and encouraged them to send him naked photographs”.
The claims reportedly may span a decade, and involve current and former dancers under Scarlett’s instruction.
The Royal Ballet asked an independent firm to review the allegations after staff expressed concerns, The Times reported.
Scarlett came to Brisbane in 2017 as artistic associate at the Queensland Ballet – an appointment that was seen as a coup for the company. His role was to create new works for them.
Queensland Ballet was informed of allegations relating to Scarlett at the Royal Ballet in October last year, the company said in a statement released on Thursday.
“Detail was limited as we were told it was the subject of an ongoing investigation,” the statement said.
“[We have] suspended all future engagements with Liam Scarlett pending the results of that investigation. This includes the 2020 Melbourne tour of Dangerous Liaisons.”
The company decided on the suspension “upon realising the depth of the allegations”, the spokeswoman said.
The Melbourne production, scheduled for April 17 and 18, will not take place unless the situation changes. Tickets will be refunded.
The company is working to find an alternative production it can bring to Melbourne instead.
At the time of writing the company’s website was still promoting the show, which it describes as an “evocative and vivid work … for mature audiences” created by “world-renowned choreographer Liam Scarlett”.
Scarlett has been contacted for comment.
Nick Miller is Arts Editor of The Age.