The federal government, through the Australia Council, should immediately roll over funding for arts organisations for the next year as a first step in dealing with the coronavirus shutdown, says Victoria’s Creative Industries Minister Martin Foley.
And he hopes Thursday’s meeting of state and federal arts ministers will come up with a financial package and other policies to safeguard precarious jobs in the sector for the next month, while a longer-term plan can be hammered out.
“To sustain things for a month is not beyond our collective effort,” he said, while adding that he sensed goodwill at the federal level to protect the cultural sector.
Victoria already rolled over funding earlier this year, extending programs to June 2021. But many organisations in Victoria relied on both state and national money, and some relied entirely on federal grants, Foley said.